Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
3rd December 2018

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Trevor & Diane Kitto, Carol Bull, Geoff Holden, Steve Jones-Blackett Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Jenny Page, Kay Woodward, Steve Johns, Christine Osborne (GVCAG), Richard Peters (GVCAG).

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 19th November 2018
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. Lake Action Group (LAG)
  7. Fruit Tree Planting
  1. Christmas Fairs/Sales/Cards
  2. Trustees Report
  3. Meeting Night
  4. Christmas Social
  5. AOB
  6. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adam Bull, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Paul Ellis, David Miles, Adrian Coltman.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 19th November 2018

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • The rotting benches will be assessed during the next Action Morning.
  • Adrian looking into arranging an outing to the local refuse and energy recycling plant.

4. Correspondence

  • None.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 25 November 2018
    There were 54 volunteers including a group of local Scouts. Martin thanked Geoff for spending time and looking after the Scouts on the day. Geoff told the Group how impressed he was with the Scouts. They were very enthusiastic and worked very hard. The Scouts expressed an interest in working in the woods again and the Group would be happy to welcome them.
    Following the Action Morning Geoff e-mailed Marc Otley, the Officer responsible for cleaning the area, to tell him of the work that had been completed and ask that Marc's team complete the rest of the work for which they are responsible. Marc Otley has not yet responded.
    Trees and brambles at the bottom end of Gledhow Valley lake were pruned and cut back. The Group investigated how the silt traps were working after they had been cleaned 9 months ago. They are working really well and if a small digger could be brought for regular maintenance, they should continue to be very effective. There was also some bulb planting and wildflower planting. Mervyn and Martin cleared the steps.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 16 December
    Volunteers are to meet at the field owned by FGVW. A skip will be ordered so that the piles of branches etc. can be cleared and removed. There will also be some bulb planting and bench repair work. Kay would like to get some Yellow Rattle seeds to put in the field too.

6. Lake Action Group (LAG)

The LAG has been working on the Heritage Lottery bid that was discussed at the Trustees Meeting. There has been collaboration between Leeds City Council, FGVW, Wades Trust, Groundworks and GVCAG. Some of the trustees still have questions and concerns about the application that need to be addresses outside of the meeting.

If the Group is successful in getting the lottery funding there will be a lot of work to do. The Group would like to appoint a Community Co-ordinator Officer to do this work. The position will be open to any members under the equal opportunities policy.

Christine and Richard, from the Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group, presented FGVW with a cheque for £300 that they had received from Leeds Civic Trust and the Snaith Memorial Award.

7. Fruit Tree Planting

Chapel Allerton in Bloom have got 20 fruit trees to plant. Following the last meeting the Group fed back that they would need permission from Leeds City Council to plant them in the FunDay field as it is their land ,and also some hints and tips where to put them.

Approval has been granted by Leeds City Council and there will be a discussion at the next Allotment Society meeting on 15th December to discuss what to do. They would like help with publicising this event. Christine asked what the plans were after the trees were planted regarding on-going pruning, fruit picking and maintenance. Some of the existing fruit trees in the area have not been looked after. Martin to raise these issues with them.

8. Christmas Fairs/Sales/Cards

The Christmas cards have been selling really well and there are only 47 packs left. The Group plan to do a pop-up stall in Chapel Allerton on Saturday 8th December between 10am and 1pm. Martin has got permission to be with the dried goods stall owner.

A volunteers rota was used at the last event that worked very well and the Group agreed to use the same format for future events.

9. Trustees Report

The Trustees Meeting was last Monday and the minutes will follow. The Equal Opportunities and Health & Safety policies were adopted. Martin went through the main points of the policies with the Group.

The Group is also up to date with the GDPR requirements.

10. Meeting Night

At the last meeting there was a proposal to change the meeting night to Tuesdays when the venue is quieter. There were no objections so the next meetings will be held on Tuesday 15th January 2019 and Tuesday 5th February 2019 as a trial run. If it does not work then the meetings can be changed back to Monday. The start time remains at 7.30pm.

11. Christmas Social

Martin suggested a Christmas social event on either Tuesday 13th December or Friday 21st December. He will check availability with The Three Hulats.

12. AOB

  • David, Martin and Steve are having a site meeting with the Council to discuss the on-going maintenance of the silt traps. The Group would like the work to be completed before the main work starts on the lake.
  • The Group praised David's efforts and determination in sorting out the Lake Project. David has spent a lot of time on it and attended meetings to co-ordinate all the different stakeholders.
  • Christine gave a couple of examples of how some planning applications had been granted permission but not adhered to. It wasn't until they wrote to Tom Rider the CEO that action was taken.
  • Steve has had a quote for enamel badges of £1.70 each with an order for the Group to be around £90. The Group thought that this was acceptable, so Steve will organise.
  • Joan raised the problem of members losing or not wearing their badges. Members will not be receiving badges at Action Mornings and events if they forget or lose them in future. She has also spent some time washing Hi-Vis jackets. It was decided that each regular Action Morning attendee would have their own Hi-Vis jacket and they would be responsible for taking care of it and bringing it with them to the Action Morning.
  • The snooker event was a big success and another may be arranged.
  • The Group will receive £200 from the Aviva Community Fund provided the due diligence forms are completed. Martin and Paul agreed to supply copies of the latest bank statement and accounts to complete the process.

14. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 16 Dec 2018 (previously scheduled for Sat 8 Dec)
  • Steering Group Meeting - Tue 15 Jan 2019, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 27 Jan 2019 (TBC)
  • Steering Group Meeting - Tue 5 Feb 2019, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 10 Feb 2019
  • Action Morning - Sat 23 Mar 2019
  • Action Morning - Sun 28 Apr 2019

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 08 Jan 2019. © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)