Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
10th September 2019

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Trevor & Diane Kitto, Adam & Carol Bull, Jenny Page, Adrian Coltman, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, David Miles, Steve Jones-Blackett, Stephen Tyndale-Biscoe, Teresa Williams.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th August 2019
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Action Mornings
  6. Heritage Lottery Fund - Heritage On Your Doorstep, Lake and Community Engagement
  7. Trustees Report
  8. Meadows Cutting/Raking Update
  1. Chapel Allerton Arts Festival
  2. Heritage Open Day - Bath House 15th September
  3. Storage of Marquees
  4. FunDay/HLF Project Celebration 25th October
  5. FGVW Christmas Cards
  6. AOB
  7. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Geoff Holden, Naomi Watts-Kitto, Malcolm Robertson.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 6th August 2019

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • There is a build-up of silt on the Brackenwoods side of the field. David will raise this at the site meeting on Thursday.
  • Adam has checked and the card machine app can be installed on multiple phones but only one can be in use at any point in time.
  • No one was able to attend the REAP Climate Emergency event.
  • Martin to bring the FGVW Terms of Reference to the next meeting that Geoff attends.
  • Mervyn took people up to show them the den that had been formed in the woods and this has now been removed.

4. Correspondence

None.

5. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 11 August
    There were 17 volunteers and the meadow by the Bath House was raked. and the Bath House cleaned.
  • Sunday 8 September
    There were 30 volunteers and the new meadow ("Beck Meadow") was raked. Following on from the Action Morning the fire brigade had to attend as the rakings in the skip started smouldering. The Group will learn from this next year and make sure it's not packed so tightly. The skip will be picked up on Thursday as the weekend is expected to be warm weather and we don't want another incident.

Future Action Mornings

Proposed dates and tasks (subject to change):

  • Sunday 13 October
  • Sunday 17 November
  • Sunday 15 December

6. Heritage Lottery Fund - Heritage On Your Doorstep, Lake and Community Engagement

Dave gave an update on the lake project and the community engagement events. The test results on the pollutants in the lake have come back and the good news is that the silt is not contaminated. Six companies were approached to submit tenders for the work on the lake. Only one has come back with a tender. The other 5 gave their reasons as to why they wouldn't be submitting a tender. The Lotter Fund are uncomfortable with just one bid but Groundworks has sent in a response of support and why the tender was suitable so it has now been accepted.

Flood Risk Management have written to the group confirming that they will clear the remaining silt trap and also put in some gauges on all the traps so they can be monitored and cleaned when necessary.

There is a valuation meeting tomorrow to look at the bid from Ebersford as the quote is higher than it was previously due to an increase in costs over time. It is hoped that everything can be agreed and signed so the work can start in October/November. The Group congratulated David on a great result.

The Environmental Agency has told the group that the silt can't be moved away from the lake area when work starts. Vicky Nunns is looking to find some funding to clear some trees and rhododendrons from the area.

Leeds City Council is doing some tree work in the woods on 30th September ready for the work to start on the lake. The Group discussed putting the banners up early that explain what work is going to take place around the lake. The Group agreed it was a good idea to put them up in that area and then move them to the lake area for the next stage. Steve J-B suggested using the Twitter feed too and to send the information to Adam so he could put the information on the website. A section of the woods will be closed off and its important to keep everyone informed including local councillors.

The Night Time Safari was a great success and 20 people attended. The event sold out quickly.

There is a Fungi Walk on Saturday 26th October 10am -12pm. David is unavailable and asked for volunteers to help on the day. Adrian volunteered to help the person doing the walk and organise the valuation reports.

The display board drafts should be available for the next meeting. There is one covering birds and animals, one for the spa and quarry and one for the meadow. David has looked into the history of the FGVW field and its previous owners.

As part of the Lottery Project David asked if the FGVW leaflet could be updated as the meadows and field are not labelled on it. David, Adam and Steve J-B to have a look at it.

The Group has got some funding to create a hedge as part of the lake project. There are plans to plant it at the end of November for National Tree Week. The area needs to be cleared beforehand and this could be done during an Action Morning. Martin to ask Bob to push the tree trunks back. The children of Hillcrest Academy have volunteered to plant the hedgerow with help from volunteers.

David talked at the Chapel Allerton Good Neighbours group on Monday and was well received.

David has also been in discussion about doing an art project in the woods between local children and the elderly.

The TLC Café photography exhibition will take place in November (date to be confirmed). Shine in Harehills would also like to host the exhibition. David is also in talks with Chapel Allerton library to see if they could hold the photo exhibition too. The exhibition contains phots taken in the woods.

There is a talk at the Dementia Café on the Brackenwoods estate on 6th November. The Discovery Centre in Leeds and the Park Rangers will bring stuffed animals and animal sounds.

The Bushcraft session was really popular so it is hoped more sessions can be arranged. One member suggested putting the age range of the activity on the invite.

Charles Lane at the York Laboratory would like to come and give a talk on tree diseases and do a tree walk. This has been provisionally planned for 13th May 2020 during the morning.

David is working with local schools who would like to put on a play in the woods on the subject of ecology.

7. Trustees Report

Joan has sent an e-mail to the trustees asking if they can help with the graveyard so that there could be some new planting to attract insects and increase biodiversity. This will be discussed at the next meeting but in the mean time it was agreed that a donation could be made from the book stall recently held at the Chapel Allerton Festival on Charity Day.

The Group has also received a request to keep sheep in the field. This is something for discussion in the future.

8. Meadows Cutting/Raking Update

An Allen scythe was used on "Adrian's Meadow" earlier today. The area around the Bath House has been done. A group of corporate volunteers came on Thursday and helped with "Audrey's Meadow". There is just "Martin's Meadow" left to be scythed by the Group.

9. Chapel Allerton Arts Festival

The Group attended on two dates. There was a lot of community interest in the lake project and we gained some extra volunteers. The Group raised £350 over the events.

10. Heritage Open Day - Bath House 15th September

It was agreed to set up from 12 noon and the event would be from 1.30pm until 4.30pm. Baking and plants are required. The Bath House needs to be cleared beforehand as it has been used for storage. The bridge and nearby bench also need repairing. The bench needs sanding.

11. Storage of Marquees

Steve J-B to get some storage quotes.

12. FunDay/HLF Project Celebration 25th October

A date of Friday 25th October was proposed for a celebration event for the Group at The Three Hulats.

13. FGVW Christmas Cards

The cards are due tomorrow. Steve J-B to deliver to Trevor and Diane. Steve sent the proofs round the Group. There was a discussion on reducing the plastic packaging but it is currently a challenge so we may need to look at it again in the future. The cards will need protecting in some way due to being sold outdoors.

14. AOB

  • A picture of what the view used to be from the house that used to overlook Beck Meadow was passed around the Group.
  • The Group has been invited to the Oakwood Light Up the Tree event on Saturday 9th November from 12.30pm until 8.30pm. It was suggested we have a volunteer rota.
  • The Group agreed to keep the Christmas Cards at the same price this year.
  • Mervyn asked if we could get the master key for the Bath House from Vicky so we could get an extra key cut.
  • Someone is throwing stones at passing vehicles especially vans on Gledhow Valley Road. The police have been informed but local residents need to be vigilant.
  • Jenny thanked the Group for the £75 graveyard funding, which will be put towards the (approximately) £2,700 required to clean the war memorial and its plaque at Chapel Allerton Cemetery.
  • Trevor is repairing the rakes used for the meadows. The Group thanked Trevor for his work as the wooden rakes are really important as they work better than the metal ones.
  • David will drop off the display boards with Adrian.
  • There is a dangerous dead tree leaning towards houses in Brakenwoods. Martin will raise it with Justin.
  • The Horse Chestnut trees have been attacked by moths and are dropping all their leaves.
  • The Beck Meadow has some bare areas so the Group plans to put some wild seed down and see if it works. Volunteers are welcome on Tuesday to help with clearing the areas.
  • The Filling Station in Chapel Allerton has requested some more FGVW cloth bags.
  • It was agreed to change the date of the next meeting form 8th October to 1st October due the Gledhow Sports & Social Club being unavailable because of another event.

15. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Bath House Open Day - Sun 15 Sep 2019
  • Steering Group Meeting - Tue 1 Oct 2019, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 13 Oct 2019
  • Steering Group Meeting - Tue 12 Nov 2019, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 17 Nov 2019
  • Steering Group Meeting - Tue 10 Dec 2019, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 15 Dec 2019

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 24 Sep 2019 © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)