< Go back to Minutes menu
Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
16th June 2022
Present: Adrian Coltman (Acting Chair), Trevor & Diane Kitto, Adam & Carol Bull, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Jenny Page, David Miles, Jeremy Kitto, David Lumb
1. Apologies for Absence
Martin Calvert, Steve Jones-Blackett, Sue Harris.
2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 19th May 2022
Agreed as a true record.
3. Matters Arising
- Adrian thanked David M for his work on making the celebration event at the lake successful as he had not been able to attend the last meeting.
- All other items covered on the agenda.
5. Trustees Update
Nothing to report.
6. Future Events Calendar
The following dates were proposed, but may be subject to change nearer the time:
- Jun 26 - Action Morning
- Jul 03 - Beck Pasture open afternoon
- Jul 21 - Steering Group Meeting
- Jul 24 - Action Morning
- Aug 18 - Steering Group Meeting
- Aug 28 - Action Morning
- Sep 03-04 Chapel Allerton Arts Festival
- Sep 15 - Steering Group Meeting
- Sep 18 - Bath House Open Day
- Sep 25 - Action Morning
- Oct 13 - Steering Group Meeting
- Oct 23 - Action Morning
- Nov 17 - Steering Group Meeting
- Nov 27 - Action Morning
- Dec 08 - Steering Group Meeting
- Dec 18 - Action Morning
7. Action Mornings
- Sunday 26 June 2022
Decking across the wet area in Beck Pasture to complete ready for the open day. Some paining at the Bath House to be completed. A small amount of left-over stone from the previous Action Morning to be moved. Plugs to plant.
Volunteers to meet at Beck Pasture.
- Sunday 24 July
Concern over the state of some of the benches as some of the varnish is coming off. It's not clear what treatment was used so the benches need sanding down. The dead hedges need topping up. The Balsam needs to be tackled before it starts flowering. The Bath House railings will need to be completed if this is not done in June.
Volunteers to meet by the lake jetty.
8. Heritage Lottery Fund Project Update
David M is looking at phase 2 of the project. Nick Hartley is a contractor who helped with phase 1. Adrian, Steve and David met with Nick and did a walk around the woods and beck area. Silt is building up again and forming an island that is slowing the water down further and causing even more silt to build up. A suggestion was to plant the new island up and put in a solar powered aerating system to help move the silt along and break down the leaves quicker. A peninsular could be created to cause a faster water current which would help take the silt out into the deep water. Nick will come back with ideas and costings so we can look at raising the funding.
Also, there was a meeting with Yorkshire Wildlife to look at improving the wildlife and planting in the beck and wet areas. A proposal was made to add in reed beds near the CSO area but its not clear who owns the land.
9. FGVW Sales Items
Photographs are needed of the woods so we can buy more coasters and notelets to sell. A suggestion was made to hold a social media competition for the community to send in photographs. This could also be promoted via the regular FGVW Update e-mail newsletter.
10. Gledhow Festival 25th June 2022
This event is no longer intending to allow any stalls, so the invitation for us to attend has been withdrawn.
11. Beck Pasture Open Day
The Back Pastures Open Day event will be on Sunday 3rd July 2022. A path needs to be cut around the outside edge so that visitors can walk round. We need a gazebo with the information boards. Jenny has word searches and activity sheets we can use for the kids and is looking into how to create the information sheets we had last time.
12. Yorkshire Water Meeting
Adrian is arranging for an engineer from Yorkshire Water to look at the area around the valley and in particular cross connections and sewage overflows. There was a suggestion for regular review meetings with the initial meeting expected on a Wednesday.
- Mervyn has been in contact with Chris Salt and walked around the woods looking at the sewage blockage in the meadow and with a view to looking at other sewage problems and CSOs.
- David told the Group about Space 2 in east Leeds who are putting on a play (called "East Side Story") about the east side of Leeds and Wyke Beck, which flows into the River Aire. They want to film the Bath House as part of this. The Group agreed and Mervyn can supply the keys. They are also doing 4 events at Bracken Woods Community Centre and are looking for volunteers to go and speak to them about the woods. They aim to put on a show at the Playhouse in Leeds in July. Adrian volunteered to speak, and the Group wondered if this was something Michael would be interested in doing. Volunteers are needed on Tuesday 28th June and 8th July 11-11.30am.
- Carol has successfully applied for 120 hedge saplings to be delivered to the Group in November from the Woodlands Trust as part of the Queens Jubilee Green Canopy Project. These will be used in Beck Pasture as suggested by Joan and Mervyn.
- Adrian has applied to the Co-Op Community Fund again on behalf of the Group.
- Gledhow Valley Road may be closed for a few days due to electrical works.
14. Dates of Next Meetings
- Action Morning - Sun 26 Jun 2022
- Steering Group Meeting - Thu 21 Jul 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 24 July 2022
- Steering Group Meeting - Thu 18 Aug 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 28 Aug 2022
- Steering Group Meeting - Thu 15 Sep 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 25 Sep 2022
- Steering Group Meeting - Thu 13 Oct 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 23 Oct 2022
- Steering Group Meeting - Thu 17 Nov 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 27 Nov 2022
- Steering Group Meeting - Thu 8 Dec 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
- Action Morning - Sun 18 Dec 2022