Home
All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map
Credits
Links

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
21st July 2022

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Adrian Coltman, Trevor & Diane Kitto, Adam & Carol Bull, David Miles, Jeremy Kitto, Liz Brightwell, Ibtisam

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 16th June 2022
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Trustees Update
  6. Beck Pasture Open Afternoon
  7. Action Mornings
  1. Heritage Lottery Fund Project Update
  2. FGVW Sales Items
  3. Yorkshire Water Meeting
  4. FGVW Health & Safety Policy
  5. Yorkshire Water Meeting
  6. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Steve Jones-Blackett, Joan & Mervyn Clayton, Jenny Page, Theresa Williams, Mary Clayton.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 16th June 2022

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

All items are covered on the agenda.

4. Correspondence

None.

5. Trustees Update

A Trustee meeting was held last week. Minutes will be available soon and Adrian gave a summary of what was discussed:

  • A summary of the finances was provided by Steve Jones-Blackett.
  • Consideration was given to buying a rotavator. The decision was to leave it for now and hire one to trial for a day if required.
  • There is still a fallen tree in the lake but it is expected to be removed soon.
  • It was decided that a change of wording is needed around vulnerable adults and age at which volunteers can work unsupervised.
  • There was discussion over the Health & Safety Policy. It was decided that this should be discussed further by the Steering Group and copies of the current policy were circulated at the meeting.
  • The Trustees decided that we need a separate GDPR/Privacy Policy. Adam pointed out that we already have one on our website so this could be used to create a more formal policy document.
  • The forthcoming Bath House event and Chapel Allerton Festival were discussed.

6. Beck Pasture Open Afternoon

The event on 3rd July 2022 went very well but not many attended. The meadow is progressing well with a greater diversity of plants, insects and butterflies.

7. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 24 July
    The Balsam needs removing. The flower heads may need to be cut off and removed rather than bashing the Balsam. The dead hedge at the end of the lake needs to be repaired as some of it is in the lake. The hedge near the bridge also needs tidying up, along with the living hedge. The steps near the corner of Gledhow Lane also need to be looked at and repaired.
  • Sunday 28 August
    The meadow needs to be cut but this is weather dependant. Also, if there are enough volunteers the Bath House needs clearing ready for the Open Day.

8. Heritage Lottery Fund Project Update

Phase 1 of the project is nearly complete. Groundworks have been collating all the financial information and receipts and this should be completed by Monday. David will do the final submission which should unlock the remaining £5,000.

Phase 2 is underway and the Group will receive some designs to look at by the end of the month. Nick Hartley from Ebsford is also providing costings for the proposed works so the group can start applying for grants.

9. FGVW Sales Items

Steve and Wendy Jones-Blackett are looking into producing some notelets.

10. Yorkshire Water Meeting

Adrian is arranging for an engineer from Yorkshire Water to look at the area around the valley and in particular cross connections and sewage overflows. There has been no response so far. David is in contact with Jane Dowson regarding water that keeps flowing through a pipe despite there not being much rain for weeks. The group want Yorkshire Water to look at it as it is a surface water drain that flows into the lake. Some work is currently being carried out in the area so the Group is hoping to get an update.

David mentioned that the Yorkshire Water website now shows details of combined sewage overflows and where they are in Yorkshire. It also states the number of hours they have overflowed. There is no information shown concerning the Allerton Park overflow.

11. FGVW Health & Safety Policy

A copy of the current policy was circulated at the meeting for comment. Some amendments are required. It was flagged that we no longer have a trained first aider. There was a discussion regarding reporting "near misses". The plan is to use the document at Action Mornings to make sure volunteers are aware and to complete an accident/near miss log to help prevent future incidents. It will be put on the agenda for next month to discuss any feedback and agree amendments.

12. AOB

  • Ibtisam raised a concern about people feeding the ducks on the lake with just bread and asked if a notice could be put up to feed the ducks a healthier, more balanced diet. It was suggested that Ibtisam should speak to Steve as he had done some research into this already.
  • Space2 Art in East Leeds are putting on a play about the east side of Leeds and the beck flowing into the River Aire. The show will be on at the Playhouse in Leeds on Saturday. David is attending on behalf of the Group.
  • The Group were grateful to receive an £89 donation from the Hillcrest Academy that they had raised from a Bee Day event.
  • David has contacted Flood Risk Management about clearing the silt traps but as not yet received a response.
  • Diane is unfortunately having to reduce the amount of excellent baking that she provides for our Action Mornings due to spiralling costs for ingredients and energy supplies. A request will be made for volunteers to bake for the Bath House event.

13. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 24 July 2022
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 18 Aug 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 28 Aug 2022
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 15 Sep 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 25 Sep 2022
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 13 Oct 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 23 Oct 2022
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 17 Nov 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 27 Nov 2022
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 8 Dec 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 18 Dec 2022

  • Chapel Allerton Festival - Sat 3 & Sun 4 Sep 2022
  • Bath House Open Afternoon - Sun 18 Sep 2022

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 25 Jul 2022 © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)