All about us
About the Woods
Flora and Fauna
News and Events
Just for Fun
Contact us
Guest Book
Site Map

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods
All About Us

< Go back to Minutes menu

Minutes of Steering Group Meeting
13th October 2022

Present: Martin Calvert (Chair), Trevor & Diane Kitto, Theresa Williams, Adam & Carol Bull, Mervyn Clayton, Jeremy Kitto, David Miles.

  1. Apologies for Absence
  2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 15th September 2022
  3. Matters Arising
  4. Correspondence
  5. Trustees Update
  1. Action Mornings
  2. Heritage Lottery Fund Project Update
  3. AOB
  4. Dates of Next Meetings

1. Apologies for Absence

Adrian Coltman, Steve Jones-Blackett, Joan Clayton, Jenny Page, David Lumb.

2. Minutes of the Meeting Held 18th August 2022

Agreed as a true record.

3. Matters Arising

  • The steps near Gledhow Lane have fallen into disrepair as they were put in 10-15 years ago. Mervyn, Mike, Adrian and Paul have made a start on repairing them using the wood from the damaged jetty. The Council has also given us some stone to use.
  • Martin and Adrian have rotavated a section of Beck Pasture and spread some wildflower seed.
  • The jetty is going to be repaired and the Group are hoping that the tree root can also be removed as part of this work.
  • A mid-week group of corporate volunteers cut and raked the meadow by Lincombe Drive under the supervision of David Preston, the Ranger.
  • The Group raised £400 at the Bath House Open Day event on 18th September. Around 150 people attended. Martin thanked all the volunteers and the bakers who provided refreshments.
  • No further update on the boy seen with the axe in the woods.

4. Correspondence


5. Trustees Update

Nothing to report.

6. Action Mornings

  • Sunday 23 October
    The focus will be on raking "Audrey's Meadow" and "Adrian's Meadow". We have four new wooden rakes.
    Meeting place: The jetty/duck feeding platform by the lake.
  • Sunday 27 November
    The Group are expecting 120 saplings as part of the Woodland Trust's "Queen's Green Canopy Project", that will need to be planted. Also, Ecoforest are sending 1,500 saplings to be shared amongst various groups to create hedgerows. The Group discussed where the hedgerows should be, taking into consideration any neighbouring houses. There was a suggestion that along the meadow by Lincombe Drive may be a good place.

7. Heritage Lottery Fund Project Update

David provided an update for the Group.

We have been working with Jenny Woodward from the University who has been designing questionnaires and giving us advice and support. She had a Dutch group visiting who were interested in our Group so David took them around the woods and explained the work that we do. It was a successful visit.

David has been applying for grants for Phase 2 of the project. The project has been broken down into chunks so we can apply for a series of smaller grants to cover the £100k needed. He has applied for £25k from the Postcode Lottery and £5k from Wade's Charity. Wade's Charity would like to visit the woods and to discuss the Phase 2 plans with the Group.

8. AOB

  • Trevor mentioned that the hedges are getting quite tall in various locations and we need to trim them down.
  • The bullrushes need to be looked at and tidied up during the winter months.
  • Mervyn has been working on replacing some of the decking where it has rotted or been damaged. There is still some work to do.
  • "Dorothy's Steps" have almost disappeared due to erosion and need to be looked at and repaired at a future Action Morning.
  • There are branches blocking one of the streams to the lake and sewage can be seen hanging on the branches near the little bridge.
  • The Group has received a complaint about the fruit and nut trees on the sledging slope near the playground. The complainant wants the trees to be moved into the woods due to nut allergies and was directed to the Group by a local Councillor. However, the Group did not plant these trees and has no responsibility over them, so we will not be taking any action.
  • Questions have been raised over 2 white vans parked in the woods recently on a daily basis.
  • Fly tipping on Little Switzerland continues.
  • There is a question in some funding applications that ask for a woodland management plan. We have one on our website that is interim/draft. Adam to look into if this can be changed as a final document. There is also a question asking for a sustainability policy. David offered to draft one and consult with the Trustees and the Group in a couple of months.
  • We have bought 8 new rakes.
  • We have 250 packs of Christmas Cards left. There was a discussion on discounting these so we could sell them and have a fresh supply to sell next year. Steve J-B has a new printer so we will be able to print on demand rather than have to print large volumes.

9. Dates of Next Meetings

  • Action Morning - Sun 23 Oct 2022
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 17 Nov 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 27 Nov 2022
  • Steering Group Meeting - Thu 8 Dec 2022, 7.30pm (Gledhow Sports & Social Club)
  • Action Morning - Sun 18 Dec 2022

Top of Page | Home | About Us | Woods | Flora & Fauna | News & Events | Just for Fun | Contact Us | Guest Book | Site Map | Credits | Links
This page was last updated 18 Oct 2022 © FGVW. Legal Stuff | Help! Site designed & built by Adam Bull (Bodytronix)