Go back to Events Gallery menu
17th May 2003
Family Funday 2003
This year's annual Family Funday was a great success, despite the gloomy weather, and was attended by around 300-400 people. As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Valley and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, three live bands provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included...
- Building your own bird box.
- Creating "meadows in a pot".
- "Daftasadrum" drum workshop.
- Making a wish for a Wishing Tree.
- Making "windspinners", dragonflies and suncatchers.
- Circus skills workshop.
- T-shirt, hat and badge colouring.
- Live "pond beasts", bats and hedgehogs.
- Demonstrations by Treesponsibilty and Knott Wood Coppicers.
- Beekeeping demonstration.
- Besom broom making by the Kirkstall Ranger.
- Live music including:
- St Matthews Church Hand-Bell Ringers.
- Jazz & Blues Band.
- The Port Brothers Band.
- Exhibits by local groups including:
- Brackenwood Community Association.
- Leeds Hedgehog Sanctuary.
- Skelton Grange Environment Centre.
- Chapel Allerton Churchyard Group.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods Web Site display.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Home-made drinks and refreshments.
- Additional cakes and refreshments donated by Tesco.
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending.
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.