Go back to Events Gallery menu
22nd May 2004
Family FunDay 2004
This year's Family FunDay was the most successful one yet, with an estimated 600-800 people attending on what was (for once) a beautiful sunny day. As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Woods and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, live bands provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included...
- Building your own bird box or bat box.
- Creating "meadows in a pot".
- "Daftasadrum" drum workshop.
- Face painting.
- Making a wish for the Wishing Tree.
- Mini-beast hunt.
- Circus skills workshop.
- T-shirt colouring.
- Nature Quiz (click here to see the answers, and winners!).
- Reflexology demonstration.
- Wood Craft Folk craft tent.
- Clay modelling.
- Parachute games.
- Beekeeping demonstration.
- Live music & entertainment including:
- St Matthews Church Hand-Bell Ringers.
- The Peace Artists.
- Urban Circus.
- Exhibits by local groups including:
- Leeds Hedgehog Sanctuary.
- Leeds Vegan & Vegetarian Society.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods Web Site display.
- Grand Raffle (prizes donated by local businesses).
- Display by local artist.
- Display of local schools FGVW Poster Competition.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Home-made drinks and refreshments.
- Additional cakes and refreshments donated by Tesco.
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending. Many local businesses kindly donated prizes for the Grand Raffle, and Tesco provided some extremely nice doughnuts, cookies and drinks.
Letter in Yorkshire Evening Post - 27 May 2004
We had the pleasure of attending the family fun day organised by the friends of Gledhow Valley Woods. It was a wonderful day out, with many events for the children. The organisaton was excellent. Congratulations to all concerned - you're a credit to your community.
Mr & Mrs E Wrighton
Kirkstall Lane, Leeds
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.