Go back to Events Gallery menu
14th May 2005
Family FunDay 2005
This year's Family FunDay went really well. The weather was warm and sunny (that's twice in a row!) and an estimated 600-800 people attended. As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Woods and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, a live band provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included...
- Building your own bird box or bat box.
- An owl from the Lotherton Hall Bird Garden.
- Circus skills workshop.
- Creating "meadows in a pot".
- Live music & entertainment including:
- The Peace Artists.
- Urban Circus.
- "Daftasadrum" drum workshop.
- Face painting.
- Clay modelling.
- Forestry display & chainsaw sculpture demonstration.
- Fire safety display by the fire brigade.
- Beekeeping display.
- T-shirt colouring.
- Nature quiz.
- Wood Craft Folk craft tent.
- Parachute games.
- Exhibits by local groups.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods merchandise & web site display.
- Grand Raffle (prizes donated by local businesses).
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Home-made drinks and refreshments.
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending. Many local businesses kindly donated prizes for the Grand Raffle, Norwich Union donated money towards costs, and Tesco provided some of the refreshments.
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.