Go back to Events Gallery menu
16th June 2007
Family FunDay 2007
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods' 8th Annual Family FunDay turned out to be a great success, despite torrential rain over the previous days almost leading to the event being cancelled. The weather on the day was warm and (mostly) bright, and around 400-600 people came to take part in the fun.
As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Woods and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, live bands provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included the following...
- Meeting bees, hedgehogs & other wildlife guests, and a wildlife quiz.
- Bird box building, t-shirt designing, and face painting.
- "Daftasadrum" drum workshop, and parachute games.
- Plants stall, book & gift stall by Radish, "Wooden Tree" gift stall, Leeds Animal Protection stall.
- Live entertainment from "Urban Circus", "Rossett Samba Band", and the "North East Jazz Orchestra".
- Marquees with community & local history displays.
- Home-made drinks & refreshments.
- Chainsaw sculpture demonstration.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods merchandise & web site display.
- Grand Raffle with over £700 worth of prizes (donated by local businesses).
- Fire safety display by the fire brigade.
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends Group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending.
We would like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who helped... those who spent hours assembling tents in the driving rain and mud; those who provided home-made food for the refreshments tent; those who helped run the stalls and activities, and sold raffle tickets; those who helped pack everything away at the end of the day; and the many local businesses which generously donated raffle prizes.
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.