Go back to Events Gallery menu
14th June 2008
Family FunDay 2008
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods' 9th Annual Family FunDay turned out to be a great success, with perhaps our best ever turn-out. The weather on the day was warm and bright (apart from just a couple of showers), and around 600-800 people in total came to take part in the fun.
As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Woods and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, a live band provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included the following...
- Meeting bees and birds of prey.
- Bird box building, t-shirt designing, face painting, clay modelling, craft tent.
- "Daftasadrum" drum workshop, parachute games, wishing tree
- Storytelling by Christine McMahon.
- Plants stall, book & gift stall by Radish, "Wooden Tree" gift stall.
- Live entertainment from Bassa Bassa jazz band.
- Marquees with local community & forestry displays.
- Home-made drinks & refreshments.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods merchandise & Hunt the Gledhow Bear game.
- Grand Raffle with over £800 worth of prizes (donated by local businesses).
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends Group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending.
We would like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who helped... those who spent hours assembling tents in the driving rain and mud; those who provided home-made food for the refreshments tent; those who helped run the stalls and activities, and sold raffle tickets; those who helped pack everything away at the end of the day; and the many local businesses which generously donated raffle prizes.
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.