Go back to Events Gallery menu
19th June 2010
Family FunDay 2010
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods' 11th Annual Family FunDay was a great success thanks to all those who generously gave their time to help. The weather was pretty find - fairly bright all day - and we had a great turn-out, with hundreds of local people coming to take part in the fun.
As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Woods and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, a live band provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included the following...
- Meeting birds of prey, rats, bees, frogs, rabbits, lizards, spiders, chinchillas, and other wildlife guests.
- Live entertainment from Samba Tigers Band and Magicadabra Magic Act.
- Bird box building, t-shirt designing, face painting, clay modelling, craft tent.
- Plants stall, book & gift stall by Radish, "Wooden Tree" gift stall.
- Drum workshop by "Daftasadrum".
- Marquees with local community group & other local interest displays.
- Home-made drinks & refreshments.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods merchandise & Hunt the Gledhow Bear game.
- Grand Raffle with over £1,000 worth of prizes (donated by local businesses).
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends Group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending.
We would like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who helped... those who spent hours assembling tents all morning; those who provided home-made food for the refreshments tent; those who helped run the stalls and activities, and sold raffle tickets; those who helped pack everything away at the end of the day; and the many local businesses which generously donated raffle prizes.
Please wait until the page has finished loading, then click on any photo below to see a larger version (see Instructions for details).
- FunDay main entrance
- The Lord Mayor pays a visit
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods information display
- Plant stall
- Daftasadrum drum circle
- Wildlife quiz
- Wooden Tree gift stall
- Indie Ices - hand-made indian style ice cream
- Refreshments stall
- Face painting
- Bee keeper
- Birds of prey
- The Magicadabra magic show
- A prickly visitor from Hedgehog Care
- Learning circus skills
- Build your own bird box
- Neighbourhood Policing Team
- Making dream-catchers
- Samba Tigers band
- Audience participation
- Meeting a Lion Learners rex rabbit
- Meeting Polly the Chillean rose tarantula
- T-shirt designing
- Radish book and gift stall
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.
Click on an image to see a larger version (it should appear in the centre of the screen on a dark background). Whilst viewing a large version, you can move on to the next image using the "Next" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the right-hand side of the image) or by hitting the right-arrow key on your keyboard. Move to a previous image in a similar manner using the "Prev" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the left-hand side of the image) or by hitting the left-arrow key on your keyboard. When you've done viewing the large images, leave by clicking on the "Close" button or by hitting the "Esc" key on your keyboard.