Go back to Events Gallery menu
11th June 2011
Family FunDay 2011
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods' 12th Annual Family FunDay was perhaps the best one we've ever had. The weather was sunny and warm and we had a great turnout, with hundreds of local people coming to join in the fun.
As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Woods and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, a live band provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included the following...
- Meeting birds of prey, bees, hedgehogs, frogs, tarantulas, rabbits and other wildlife guests.
- Live entertainment from the New World Steel Orchestra, Hullabaloo juggler, and Magicadabra magic act.
- Bird box building, t-shirt designing, face painting, henna artist, clay modelling.
- Plants stall, book & gift stall by Radish.
- Tailwaggers Dog Display Team.
- Drum workshop by "Daftasadrum".
- Marquees with local community group & other local interest displays.
- Home-made drinks & refreshments.
- Parachute games.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods merchandise, Name the Bear game, Tombola, and Hunt the Gledhow Bear game.
- Grand Raffle with over £1,000 worth of prizes (donated by local businesses).
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends Group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending.
We would like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who helped... those who spent hours assembling tents all morning; those who provided home-made food for the refreshments tent; those who helped run the stalls and activities, and sold raffle tickets; those who helped pack everything away at the end of the day; and the many local businesses which generously donated raffle prizes.
Please wait until the page has finished loading, then click on any photo below to see a larger version (see Instructions for details).
- Plant stall
- Beekeeper stall
- Daftasadrum drum circle
- Refreshments stall
- FGVW Merchandise, Grand Raffle & Hunt the Gledhow Bear
- Radish books & gifts
- Wildlife quiz
- FGVW Tombola
- Tailwaggers Dog Disply Team
- Magicadabra magic act
- New World Steel Orchestra
- Clay modelling
- Meeting a giant millipede with Lion Learners
- Circus skills
- T-shirt design
- Meeting birds of prey with Talon Falconry
- Build a bird box
- A great turnout!
- Chapel Allerton Allotments Association
- Parachute games
- Meeting firefighters
- A busy afternoon!
- Martin, FGVW Chair, after a long day!
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.
Click on an image to see a larger version (it should appear in the centre of the screen on a dark background). Whilst viewing a large version, you can move on to the next image using the "Next" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the right-hand side of the image) or by hitting the right-arrow key on your keyboard. Move to a previous image in a similar manner using the "Prev" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the left-hand side of the image) or by hitting the left-arrow key on your keyboard. When you've done viewing the large images, leave by clicking on the "Close" button or by hitting the "Esc" key on your keyboard.