Go back to Events Gallery menu
9th June 2012
Family FunDay 2012
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods' 13th Annual Family FunDay was a great success. The weather wasn't too bad, with almost no rain, although we nearly lost some of the tents to the gusty winds! We had a decent turnout, with hundreds of local people coming to join in the fun.
As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Woods and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, a live band provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included the following...
- Meeting birds of prey, bees, hedgehogs, frogs, tarantulas, rabbits and other wildlife guests.
- Live entertainment from the Horsforth Leeds City Band, and Magicadabra magic act.
- Bird box building, t-shirt designing, face painting, clay modelling.
- Plants stall, book & gift stall by Radish.
- Tailwaggers Dog Display Team.
- Drum workshop by "Daftasadrum".
- Marquees with local community group & other local interest displays.
- Home-made drinks & refreshments.
- Parachute games.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends, plus Suggestions Box.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods merchandise, Name the Bear game, Tombola, and Hunt the Gledhow Bear game.
- Grand Raffle with over £1,000 worth of prizes (donated by local businesses).
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends Group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending.
We would like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who helped... those who spent hours assembling tents all morning; those who provided home-made food for the refreshments tent, and prizes for the Tombola; those who helped run the stalls and activities, and sold raffle tickets; those who helped pack everything away at the end of the day; and the many local businesses which generously donated raffle prizes. Without this help the event would not have been possible.
Please wait until the page has finished loading, then click on any photo below to see a larger version (see Instructions for details).
- Plant stall
- Meeting a tarantula with Lion Learners
- Meeting giant snails with Lion Learners
- Beekeeper stall
- Refreshments stall
- Radish books & gifts
- Daftasadrum drum circle
- Chapel Allerton Allotments Association
- FGVW Tombola
- Indie Ices ice cream
- The Meningitis Trust duck at the end of the Toddle Waddle
- Horsforth Leeds City Band
- Build a bird box
- Parachute games
- Roundhay Environmental Action Project (REAP)
- Learning circus skills
- Meeting birds of prey with Talon Falconry
- Neighbourhood Policing Team
- Tailwaggers Dog Disply Team
- Meeting firefighters
- Clay modelling
- Magicadabra magic act
- Having an ice cream after a long day!
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.
Click on an image to see a larger version (it should appear in the centre of the screen on a dark background). Whilst viewing a large version, you can move on to the next image using the "Next" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the right-hand side of the image) or by hitting the right-arrow key on your keyboard. Move to a previous image in a similar manner using the "Prev" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the left-hand side of the image) or by hitting the left-arrow key on your keyboard. When you've done viewing the large images, leave by clicking on the "Close" button or by hitting the "Esc" key on your keyboard.