As part of Leeds Heritage Open Days, the Gipton Spa Bath House on Gledhow Valley Road was opened to the public under the supervision of FGVW members on Sunday 9th September 2012 (12.30-4.30pm).
The open day was extremely popular, with around 200 people turning up to find out about the building and take the guided tour. Once again we were lucky enough to have good weather. Many people left comments in the Visitor's Book, and these can be seen at the bottom of this page. You can also find out more about the bath house in the About the Woods section.
The event also helped increase general interest in the area by way of information displays and fact sheets. The Group was also able to raise money from the sale of merchandise, and from generous visitor donations.
Our thanks go to everyone who helped on the day, those who provided the home made refreshments, and everyone who came to learn a bit about the history of this little gem of a building.
Below are some photos from the day...
Please wait until the page has finished loading, then click on any photo below to see a larger version (see Instructions for details).
- Gipton Spa Bath House
- The crystal clear plunge pool
- Gipton Spa Water (not yet availble!)
- Waiting for the free tour
- Learning the history of the Bath House
- A busy afternoon #1
- Adam & Carol manning the FGVW stall
- A busy afternoon #2
- Home-made refreshments
- FGVW Core Group members in the information tent
Visitor Book Comments
- Great info, wanted to see this for 35 years!
- You all do an amazing job; the woods look great!
- We used to live at the top of Gledhow Valley Road and walked past many times and speculated what the building was. Now we know, thank you for volunteers' work.
- Interesting - thank you!
- Really well maintained. Thank you for your time.
- Excellent a really great job. Thank you everyone!
- Thanks, really informative.
- Wonderful to know that someone is taking the time to preserve this bath house for future generations.
- What a fantastic job you all do - well done!
- My first experience of the "Bath Tour" - very impressive range of historical material. Excellent event. Very good. Thanks.
- Thank you so much for the invite, been waiting far too long to have a look inside (30 years!).
- Very interesting, keep the good work up.
- Very interesting to find out about something I drive past everyday.
- FGVW continue the great work in Gledhow Woods and the Bath House. Well done to you all.
- Great work you do and very interested to see the Bath House.
- Very interesting and informative.
- Fantastic to have opened it up and the work in the woods is great. Look forward to getting involved.
- Really enjoyed the info and the building. We have often driven past and wondered what it was for! Thank you for being open this time.
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.
Click on an image to see a larger version (it should appear in the centre of the screen on a dark background). Whilst viewing a large version, you can move on to the next image using the "Next" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the right-hand side of the image) or by hitting the right-arrow key on your keyboard. Move to a previous image in a similar manner using the "Prev" button (which appears when you move your mouse cursor over the left-hand side of the image) or by hitting the left-arrow key on your keyboard. When you've done viewing the large images, leave by clicking on the "Close" button or by hitting the "Esc" key on your keyboard.