Gipton Spa Bath House
The black and white images on this page appear courtesy of the Leodis Database.
The open air Gipton Spa bath house still stands intact in Gledhow Valley Woods, towards the south east corner, and is visible from Gledhow Valley Road. A Grade 2 listed building, it was constructed in 1671 of coursed square gritstone with a slate roof. The gabled bath house has a high wall enclosing the plunge pool, which is approximately 3m square and 1.75m deep with a platform on three sides.
The bath house has an entrance at the south west end with restored quoined jambs, a circular light in the gable and moulded gable coping. A large commemorative stone plaque set in the inside wall near the entrance bears a Latin inscription informing us that it was "constructed by Edward Waddington of Gledhow in 1671".
Annovae Domini 1671
Ice cold water from a nearby spring was conducted to the sunken bath. Also inside was a small fireplace to sweat the patients after bathing (see "Taking the Waters in Old Leeds" for more information about therapeutic bathing).