Go back to Events Gallery menu
18th May 2002
Family FunDay 2002
This year's annual Family FunDay was a great success, despite the gloomy weather, and was attended by around 300-400 people. As always, its aim was to help raise awareness about the Valley and the Friends group, as well as provide an afternoon of fun and entertainment for all the local community. In addition to the many activities and displays on offer, a live band provided musical entertainment and local residents brought home-made cakes and other refreshments.
Activities and events included...
- Building your own bird box.
- Creating "meadows in a pot".
- Making pots on a real Potter's Wheel.
- Face painting.
- Making a wish for a Wishing Tree.
- Making "windspinners" and dragonflies.
- T-shirt colouring.
- Live "pond beasts".
- Badge and book mark making.
- Jazz & Blues Band.
- Parachute games.
- Exhibits by local groups including:
- Leeds Hedgehog Sanctuary
- Skelton Grange Environment Centre
- Chapel Allerton Churchyard Group.
- Display of possible plans for Traffic Calming in the Valley, plus Suggestions Box.
- Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods web site demonstration.
- Information about Gledhow Valley Woods & the Friends.
- Home-made refreshments.
The event was only possible due to the dedication and enthusiasm of the Friends group and other members of the local community, together with the generous donations made by those attending.
Feedback from people who attended the FunDay has been very positive so far, and here are some kind words which were sent to the Friends group secretary...
Thank you for a super afternoon, the kids had a great time and I didn't realise that they were so artistic, both had a go on the potter's wheel and loved the activities tent where Max made a collage and Sam made a Jubille hat, then they made a wind snake and dragonfly. They absolutely loved it and so did I. The house has now become a hive of activity, but everything is covered in glitter. Thanks again. Please let us know when the next event is happening. Keep up the good work.
Love Mandi, Sam and Max.
If you have any photos or stories about past FGVW events you have attended, please contact us so we can add them to the site.