What's New 2023
This section will keep you up to date with important news and events related to the Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods, the local community, and this web site. If you have any news you would like to appear in this section please contact us.
- 28-11-23: Proposed New Wetland in Gledhow Valley Woods - Have Your Say
- 24-08-23: Gledhow Valley Woods Improvement Work
- What's New Archives for 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001
28 Nov 2023
Proposed New Wetland in Gledhow Valley Woods - Have Your Say
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods want to build on the recent improvements we have made to Gledhow Lake and Beck and the surrounding woodland. The proposed new works involve creating a wetland in the woods on the north eastern side of the junction of Gledhow Valley Road and Gledhow Lane, opposite Hillside Court.
This will involve removing the invasive pygmy bamboo and Japanese knotweed currently covering the site. Wetland and marginal plants and wildflowers will be planted, making the area more attractive to bats, newts, birds, insects and the local community!
New paths will be created and the existing path made more accessible with new seating provided. We would use the area as an outdoor learning resource for local schools for nature walks, pond dipping and practical conservation sessions.
When funding is secured from charitable trusts, the project will be delivered in partnership with Leeds City Council, the Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods, Wade's Charity, Groundwork Yorkshire and the contractor.
Completing and returning this short questionnaire will help us to secure funding and would be greatly appreciated:
The survey will only take a few minutes and can be filled in completely anonymously if you wish. Any personal details you do choose to give will be treated in the strictest confidence and will be used only to help make the survey results more meaningful. Your details will not be passed on to any third party and will be deleted once the project has completed.
24 Aug 2023
Gledhow Valley Woods Improvement Work
We are delighted to announce that work will begin on 30th August to further improve Gledhow Valley Woods for wildlife and the local community.
The work will include:
- Dredging and creating wetland areas in Gledhow Lake and Beck.
- Creating wetland areas at the edges of Gledhow Beck.
- Installing "leaky dams" in the Gledhow Beck to improve habitat.
- Creating new ponds.
- Installing more fascines along the valley sides to prevent soil erosion and create a more varied woodland floor.
- Upgrading paths and installing two new information boards.
Please be patient while the work is being carried out by the River Stewardship Company (www.the-rsc.co.uk).
We are grateful for the generous support of our funders - Veolia Environmental Trust, Postcode Local Trust, National Lottery, Wade's Charity, Inner North East Community Committee and Yorkshire Water.