Go back to What's New menu
What's New Archive for 2012
- 05-09-12: Bath House Open Day on Sunday 9 September 2012
- 08-07-12: 13th FGVW Family FunDay a Great Success!
- 10-05-12: FGVW Family FunDay Saturday 9 June 2012
- 19-04-12: Bluebells Now in Bloom!
- 18-04-12: "Three Entrances Project" Opening Event
- 03-01-12: FGVW AGM Coming Soon!
- What's New Archives for 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001
5th September 2012
Bath House Open Day on Sunday 9 September 2012
The Gipton Spa Bath House on Gledhow Valley Road will be open to the public under the supervision of FGVW members from 12.30-4.30pm on Sunday 9th September 2012 to correspond with the country-wide "Heritage Open Days" event.
...Come along for your free tour!
There will also be refreshments and an FGVW stall promoting the group, selling merchandise (including mugs, Christmas cards, greetings cards, postcards, etc.), and providing general information about the Bath House, the woods, and the Group itself.
We need help with home-made refreshments for the Bath House Open Day - if you might be able to help, please contact us.
Details of previous Bath House Open Day events, including photos, are available in the Events Gallery.
08 July 2012
13th FGVW Family FunDay a Great Success!
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods' 13th Annual Family FunDay was a great success. The weather wasn't too bad, with almost no rain, although we nearly lost some of the tents to the gusty winds! We had a decent turnout, with hundreds of local people coming to join in the fun.
As always, we would like to say a very big 'thank you' to everyone who helped... those who spent hours assembling tents all morning; those who provided home-made food for the refreshments tent, and prizes for the Tombola; those who helped run the stalls and activities, and sold raffle tickets; those who helped pack everything away at the end of the day; and the many local businesses which generously donated raffle prizes. Without this help the event would not have been possible.
Details of what happened at the FunDay, including photographs and a 360 degree panorama of the event in full swing are now available in the Events Gallery.
10 May 2012
FGVW Family FunDay Saturday 9 June 2012
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods invite you to their 13th Annual Family FunDay!
The FunDay brings local people together for an afternoon of fun, activities and entertainment focussing on the local woodland and the plants and wildlife that live there. There are loads of displays, activities, games and entertainments to keep the whole family busy, not to mention home-made refreshments and live music!
When & where:
- Saturday June 9th 2012 (1.30pm - 5.00pm)
Grassland area adjacent to Gledhow Valley Road and Allerton Grange Way.
- Meet birds of prey, bees, hedgehogs, frogs, tarantulas, rabbits and other wildlife guests.
- Tailwaggers Dog Display Team.
- Live performers including the Horsforth Leeds City Band and Magicadabra magic act.
- Plant sale.
- Bird box making.
- Design a t-shirt.
- Clay modelling.
- Book & craft stalls.
- Drum workshop by "Daftasadrum".
- Face painting.
- Local community group displays.
- Parachute games.
- Home-made drinks & refreshments.
- Grand Raffle with hundreds of pounds worth of prizes.
- Find out what the Friends are doing to enhance your local woodland.
- FGVW merchandise stall including postcards, greetings cards, badges, mugs, etc.
- Much more...!
Please can you help?
We badly need volunteers who can help out on the FunDay either by bringing food for the refreshments stall, helping to put up the tents and marquees in the morning, or helping to look after the stalls or sell raffle tickets in the afternoon.
- If you are able to spare any time, please contact us and let us know.
It doesn't matter if you can only spare an hour ...all help will be gratefully appreciated!
Have a look in the Events Gallery to find out what happened at last year's Family FunDay.
19 April 2012
Bluebells Now in Bloom!
The bluebells are now coming into bloom in Gledhow Valley Woods. If you want to see them, don't wait too long - they're usually only at their best for a few weeks, depending on how kind the weather is.
18 April 2012
"Three Entrances Project" Opening Event
The Brackenwoods Community Spaces "Three Entrances Project" is now finished. An opening ceremony will take place on Wednesday 25 April at 10am near gateway one, at the junction of Lincombe Drive and Lincombe Bank. Pupils from Gledhow School will be attending and planting wild flower plugs to mark the occasion.
Group members are encouraged to attend to chat to the pupils and/or generally help out on the day.
Refreshments will be available.
3 January 2012
FGVW AGM Coming Soon!
Happy New Year!
The FGVW Annual General Meeting is to be held on Friday 27 January 2012 (7.30pm onwards).
The Three Hulats Pub (13 Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton) has kindly agreed to host the meeting once again. Food will be provided, and all are welcome to attend. The positions of Chair, Treasurer and Secretary are open for voting.
It would be helpful to know how many people might attend so please, if possible, contact us to let us know you're coming.